Sunday, April 8, 2012

A snowy Easter


Finnskogen

We spent a weekend out in a place called Finnskogen. It was a rotary organized weekend involving hiking, swimming, and making a music video about, “our Norway”. The first night when we got to the cabin we settled in and then prepared ourselves for a night of bathing in the ice-lake. And I can assure that it was one of my coldest experiences. We went from the ice lake to the sauna, and repeated this three times and when we came out of the water for a third time we actually felt warm. It was a refreshing experience and that night, sleeping was no problem.

The following day we took a hike up to a lookout point, which crossed over the border and into Swedish territory. The weather was beautiful. We grilled hot dogs up at the top for lunch and relaxed before the trek back down. The area where we were staying was owned by one of the Rotarian's. His family has owned Finnskogen (the Finn Forest) for many generations.






Sweden


The final day we made a music video that touched upon our impressions of Norway. It is in Norwegian so it might be a little difficult to understand but you can enjoy watching all of us exchange students showing off our bi-lingual abilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RsNybpQfMw&context=C4a08b67ADvjVQa1PpcFPCbKmpocKjOmapShryW4roXGh5o4oQ3bc=






Easter Vacation

My Last week with my second host family was spent up in the north of Norway for Easter vacation. We flew from Oslo to Tromsø, a two-hour flight. Coming into Tromsø was like stepping into another country. There was snow everywhere! Where I have been living the snow is completely gone but up here, above the Arctic Circle, there were many meters of snow. When we got off the plane we were picked up by my host mom’s sister, Marit, there we spent our first day of vacation. The following day we drove out to my host mom’s parent’s house, in Finnsnes. It was about a two-hour drive. My host mom comes from a family of six siblings, and four of those siblings live in Finnsnes with their families. They actually all lived in the same neighborhood, all walking distance from one-another. Each of the families has at least four kids, and when we were all together we were 37 people, a majority of those being little kids. We spent two days there and then we packed up and spent some days out at their cabin, which was around an hour from their house. 

Flying over Tromsø


View from the House
The Søreng's house (my host mom's parents)

The neighborhood



Those four days were dedicated solely to skiing. And I have to admit that those four days topped all the skiing I had ever done in my life! The first couple of days we took a few ski trips of around 15 km or so.

Out at the cabin

Sina and I getting ready for sledding



Kristin, my host mom

Håvard


My host mom's mom, Evelin, Marte, me, Johanna, and Sina

Grilling hot dogs after skiing




The third day I took part in my very first ever ski race. It was the 26 km cross-country Easter ski race. It was a great experience and a lot of fun to be a part of. I know I will for sure miss all this skiing!


Me, Simen, Håvard and Marit after the race


The following day we took a 7-hour ski trip to the top of one of the mountains. I definitely felt like I was taking part in an extreme sport. We literally made our on tracks through the snow and we trekked all the way up the mountain, getting to the top was exhausting and a little bit scary, but it was a good thing I am not too afraid of heights because it was super steep and a little icy. Once we finally made it to the top, the view was unbelievable. We were completed surrounded by mountains. None of my pictures justify how it actually looked; it was honestly magical and unreal. It was one tiring trip to the top but the way back was almost all downhill, and that was definitely rewarding. 

Sina, Johanna, and Mathilde

Sina and Johanna


A little bit tired

On the way to the top


My host sisters and I on top of the mountain
Mathilde, Amanda, Marit, me, Sina, Johanna, and Kristin


I have come to realize that probably 90% of all Norwegians are crazy active. They love skiing, backpacking, and hiking more than anything else. It has got to be the most fit country there is! The next day we drove back to Finnsnes and we had a huge birthday celebration for Håvard and three other cousins. There were cakes galore, and tons of family. We were a total of 37 family members all in one-house. 

Some of the cousins

Håvard opening up his birthday presents


Johanna and Tomina

Kamilla, Amanda, and Mathilde

Little Mari


The last day we took the Hurtigrute, a famous Norwegian tourist boat, back to Tromsø where we caught a plane back to Oslo.

The whole Tosterud family and me



The Hurtigruten boat

We got back to Lena on Friday and the following day we met up with family of my host father. We had a big lamb and potatoes dinner with everyone and afterwards we had an Easter egg hunt out in the yard.  On Sunday, the first Easter day, we attended mass in the local church. On Easter Sunday it is typical for Norwegians to eat Skolebrød. It is a sweet roll filled with custard and sprinkled with coconut flakes. Sunday is my last full-day with the Tosterud’s and tomorrow I will be moving to my final host family, the Sørum’s.  I have had an amazing time with the Tosterud’s and it is sad to switch but I am also excited to live with the Sørum’s. Unfortunately it is time to start packing…

No comments:

Post a Comment